Washington, D.C. – This week Alaska Congressman Don Young was presented the Guardian of Small Business Award by the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) – the nation’s leading advocate for small businesses. The biennial recognition is given to Members of Congress for their commitment and outstanding support for America’s small business owners.
NFIB President and CEO Juanita Duggan presenting Congressman Young with the Guardian of Small Business Award
“Small businesses are the economic engine of our nation; they drive innovation, employ more than 70 percent of our nation’s workforce, and support communities and families across our great nation,” said Congressman Don Young. “I’m honored to once again receive this recognition, but more importantly proud to support efforts in Congress that strengthen our economies, protect American workers, and reduce regulatory burdens harming our small businesses.”
As the nation’s leading advocate for small business, the NFIB recognizes Members of Congress on a biennial basis for their record of supporting key legislation identified by American small business owners. In the 114th Congress, NFIB evaluated Members of the House on a range of issues, including efforts to repeal and improve the Affordable Care Act, to reduce the tax burden facing American families and small businesses, and pushing back against job-killing rules and regulations.
"Many elected officials claim that they are champions of small business, but our Guardian Award shows our members and other small business owners who is really fighting for them,” said NFIB President and CEO Juanita Duggan. “Based on his voting record, Rep. Young is one of the most reliable advocates for small business in Washington.”
Congressman Young, who received a 100 percent voting record by the NFIB, was evaluated on the following pieces of legislation in the 114th Congress:
- Save American Workers Act of 2015 (H.R.30)
- Regulatory Accountability Act of 2015 (H.R.185)
- Repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R.596)
- Small Business Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act of 2015 (H.R.527)
- America’s Small Business Tax Relief Act of 2015 (H.R.636)
- Death Tax Repeal Act of 2015 (H.R.1105)
- Regulatory Integrity Protection Act of 2015 (H.R.1732)
- Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act of 2015 (H.R.758)
- Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act
- Small Business Healthcare Relief Act (H.R. 5447)